Have you noticed it is easier to acquire more of what you already have?
The world has a cliche that says the first million is the hardest. It’s an incomplete truth but still valid in many ways. There is a principle I would like you to observe because so few notice it.
“To those who listen to my teaching, more understanding will be given. But for those who are not listening, even what little understanding they have will be taken away from them.”-Jesus Christ(Mark 4:25)
It is important to know how the system works and how to get the results you desire from it. Jesus is teaching us here that without continuous personal improvement and development, an individual will lose what little they have. Haven’t you seen people who get ahead in life and soon seem like they are moving backwards?
You get hired and paid based on what your value is and what the company thinks your contribution is worth. If you think your contribution is worth $100,000 a year but are getting paid $65,000 then either ask for a raise or quit to start a business or work for someone who appreciates your value. If on the other hand your contribution does not equal the compensation you desire then create more value and tell the right people about it. Take some courses. Read more books. Ask for more responsibility so you can prove yourself.
When I started out in consulting, I would insist that part of my compensation be tied to the results I produced. Till this day I offer a full money back guarantee on all our work including our trainings.
I believe this accomplishes two things:
1. Results are the best form of differentiation so it makes marketing your products and services easier. You can go to a client and say “I will help you achieve 10 percent growth in your business in the next 3 months” but many people say something like ” I run an advertising agency”. Sadly I have never heard an ad executive or freelancer ever start a conversation with growth benefits.
2. The testimonials will have more impact because others can see when others are prospering and would like to know what the source of the prosperity is. It also makes people trust that you are here to provide value not just for selfish reasons.
When I was an employee, I only wanted to work for an organization who paid a premium for results because that is something I could control. I wanted to work at a place where I knew exactly what to do to get to the next level. I did not want to leave my future to chance or in the hands of a boss who had not well defined system of rewards. Office politics and long years of experience are an inefficient way to the top.
If you do not get paid enough, resolve to do these 3 things
1.Add value to yourself (i.e getting a deeper understanding: you can do this via books, apprenticeship, taking on more responsibility, courses)
2. Get results
3. Advertise the results to those who matter.
Very soon you’ll be recognized and rewarded handsomely while other complain about the government, taxes and systems they do not understand.
For the entrepreneur and business owner
1. Focus on metrics that your clients care about. If I was a mother; saying you will help me lose weight is not as appealing as saying you will help me lose so much weight that I can fit into the same jeans I was wearing before I had a baby.
2. Develop yourself. Become a master at sales and marketing. Anyone can create a good product but few can sell. Read books on all those who are making billions in your industry.
3. Look for people who already have the clients you want to serve and show them your results. Propose a mutually beneficial promotion or deal in exchange for access to their clients. This will save you time and money. It will also help you not to concentrate on individual sales to get ahead.
4. Read www.growingstartup.com
Please leave comments below or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to hear your thoughts, insights and suggestions.